viernes, 27 de agosto de 2010

Las cruces hikes; the garden.

So I have been in Las Cruces since Wednesday night and I have already seen amazing things! Every morning, we start the day with a hike somewhere. Yesterday we walked around the garden and saw banana trees (including red bananas and bananas with seeds that look like corn!). Also, we saw agoutis! They look like they have the butt of a bunny (same size too!) but they are in the rodent family. But actually they are really cute :) My goal is to get an awesome picture of one before i go! Today one crossed my path on the way bk from dinner and i shouted "agouti agouti!!" and he stayed for me, but i had no camera. There are cycads (just like new orleans). The founders of the garden transported many plants from foreign countries (like the fig trees). There were many colorful flowers that look like birds of paradise (pictures to come). Also, my group spotted a toucan in the tree with a yellow beak! He was eating fruitloops, but unfortunately, I didnt get his autograph or picture for that matter.
At night I took a night hike in the dark! (with jungle boots and headlight of course). We were looking for frogs but only found a little inconspicuous brown one. However, I took a picture of a massive toad! as well as a huge spider.  
Today we hiked to the cloud forest and took observations. We examined the forest structure of the trees and took observations for 30 mins sitting somewhere. We had to cross a wild river with our jungle boots, and water got in mine! I went through about three pairs of socks today! I even went running in the rain (because it is almost always raining in the afternoon when we have free time, hikes in the morning). We saw a massive strangler fig tree, leaf cutter ants (actually carrying the leaves they were in the process of cutting), and a beautiful butterfly the same color as my fuchsia raincoat.

1 comentario: